Setting up and running a Repair Cafe
Repair Cafes are community events where skilled volunteers who like fixing things are matched with people who bring along broken or damaged household items. Attendees are also invited to learn how to fix their own broken items alongside the repairers, instead of throwing them in the bin. The friendly café atmosphere is one of the keys to the success of Repair Cafes. Great cake is essential!
Our guide will help you consider and plan all the key elements to a successful event, including:
- Recruiting menders and other volunteers, who are confident and clear in their roles
- A well-chosen, well-planned and well set-up venue
- Start-up and running costs
- Risk assessments and house rules to keep people safe
- Great marketing and publicity to draw people in
- Lots of cake!
- Ways to gather simple evaluation feedback.
CAG Devon risk assessments are updated regularly to reflect current changes regarding volunteering and running events during the pandemic. Templates are available for you to customise to your own event.
Download Setting up/Running a Repair Cafe.
If you require this resource in a different format, please contact us.