We are incredibly proud of what our CAG Devon groups are achieving. They are making a considerable impact on reducing waste in Devon and encouraging other members of their community to live more sustainably. Perhaps less quantifiable but equally important is the impact these groups are having on community cohesion and wellbeing – giving people an opportunity to spend time together, learn new skills, and get to know their neighbours a little better.
We magnify this impact, by helping local community action groups to establish and organise themselves, promote their activities, learn and share skills, and support each other as they grow.
Read on to see how groups have smashed their previous impact achievements through 2021/22.
Taking the impacts across three years, from pre-covid to deep covid and then 2021/22 as we emerged out of the pandemic, we can see a return to pre-covid levels of activity, and much, much more!
In a second challenging year, as we all sought to navigate around covid and define a new “normal”, the CAG Devon Network achieved truly remarkable outcomes.
Here’s a summary of what the CAG Devon network achieved in 2021-22:
- 262 events with 10,992 attendees (85 events with 3,122 attendees in 2020/21)
- 16,079 volunteer hours, worth £240,544 (compared to 5,746 volunteer hours, worth £85,967, in 2020/21).
- 36.61 tonnes of waste prevented, doubling that from 2020/21 (16.62 tonnes), and seven times the amount prevented in 2019/20 (4.86 tonnes).
- 21.6 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill, more than doubling the 10 tonnes diverted in 2020/21, and eight times that diverted in 2019/20 (2.72 tonnes).
- 138.8 tonnes of carbon emissions avoided, more than doubling the 60.6 tonnes in 2019/20 (and eight times that achieved in 2019/20)
The network remained steady at 20 groups during 2021/22.
How we measure our impact
To measure the impact the CAG Devon project is having, we use the Resource Community Impacts Tool (ResourceCIT). This is an online tool for community groups and funders to estimate the impact they are having on reducing waste, carbon, energy use and saving costs for individuals and the community.
Our community groups submit data from the activities they carry out; we are then able to generate individual reports on each group’s achievements and calculate the impact we have had collectively across the CAG Devon network.
Going forwards we are also exploring how to capture some of the social impacts of being involved in a CAG Devon group, and part of the CAG Devon network. Watch this space…