Community action and activities in Newton Abbot & surrounding areas.
Transition Newton Abbot (TNA) is a community organisation which aims to bring people together to improve the sustainability of the local community by tackling global issues at a local scale.
The Transition Newton Abbot group is trying to make its local community more resilient in a variety of ways:
- Helping local businesses to thrive thereby keeping more money and benefit in the local area.
- Supporting local food production, becoming more self-reliant at a local level.
- Encouraging more people to grow their own food.
- Reducing dependence on fossil fuels by reducing energy consumption and increasing renewable energy generation.
- Developing alternative business models e.g. community ownership, fair and transparent partnerships, profits reinvested in the local community, and sharing of skills and information.
Transition Newton Abbot’s activities include:
The Energy Group works to raise awareness about how we all use energy, while aiming to use energy more wisely, and generating energy from renewable sources. The group has produced some impressive energy sculptures which decorate Newton Abbot. It also acted as the foundation for Teign Energy Communities (TECs).
The Community Garden Group has worked hard to restore a piece of previously unused land and transform it into the garden and growing area that it is today. As well as improving the landscape and growing food, the group’s garden volunteers organise events and activities relating to gardening, local food, and outdoor skills.
The Book Group brings the people together who are interested in exploring ideas and strategies for more sustainable living. Group members always aim to incorporate something from the books into their own lives, either individually or as a group, e.g. a change in buying habits or a visit to an interesting project.
Transition Newton Abbot is supporting the Plastic Free Newton Abbot Campaign.