Grubs Up is a volunteer run community group using surplus food to create tasty meals on a “pay as you feel” basis. We aim to:
- help prevent shop and supermarket food from going to waste
- support people to waste less food in their homes
- improve nutrition and reduce hunger
- bring the community together through food and help prevent loneliness
The group is part of Tiverton Area Communities in Transition and was established with support from CAG Devon.
Millions of tonnes of good food are thrown away from shops, supermarkets and particularly our homes every year. Grub’s Up! events are open to anyone who would like to meet new people, get some tips on wasting less food and if you would like to, also get some practical cookery experience. Above all the events are fun and welcoming – oh and tasty!
Some events may be targeted at particular parts of town or groups. We are also working with local charities and Tiverton schools where we are doing cookery sessions with families through the CAG Devon project and Grub’s Up! volunteers can get involved with that too. We have also been doing Love Food Hate Waste promotional events at Tiverton Pannier Market ‘Electric Nights’ events.
We have made links with local supermarkets and shops including producers in the Pannier Market to access surplus food. We have secured local storage facilities for both perishable and non-perishable food which will be used for Grub’s Up! events as well as being distributed to local charities.
There are various roles within the group – cooks, front of house, publicity, liaising with suppliers, fundraising, volunteer coordination.
Over to you…
It would be great to hear from you about what you’d be interested in.
- Would you just like to turn up and cook / help chop/wash up/chat, or are you interested in any of the other roles?
- How often might you be available to help?
- What days of the week are you available and is that daytime or evening?
- Do you have surplus produce in your garden you would like to donate?
- Your email and phone number so we can keep in touch
- You can email us at email@example.com
- through our FB page @grubsuptiverton
- or call Claire on 07941 330450
We have regular monthly planning meetings or you can just turn up for events – we would love you to join us!
Setting up your own food surplus café
If you would be interested in setting up a similar project in your community in Mid Devon, CAG Devon may be able to help. Contact Ruth, Community Engagement Coordinator for CAG Devon or follow us @CAGDevon on Facebook and Twitter